DRIVE CARE AND MAINTENANCE
Spiral Bevel - Tapered Shaft
1. Press rear thrust and radial bearings firmly
against the pinion shaft shoulder.
2. Install radial bearing lockring and squeeze ring
into pinion shaft groove with pliers.
3. If new cups are to be installed, press firmly
against pinion cage shoulders.
4. Lubricate bearings and cups with light machine
Install forward bearing, thrust washer and
6. Install new lockwasher and the locknut.
7. Adjust pinion bearing preload to 5 to 15 lb in with locknut tightened securely against washer.
The locknut must be tight to secure the correct preload.
8. Bend lockwasher when correct adjustment has been secured.
9. Lubricate pinion shaft oil seal and cover outer edge of seal body with a non-hardening sealing compound.
Press seal against cover shoulder with seal driver.
10. Install new cork gasket and bearing cover. Cover should be carefully installed to prevent cutting seal on