ENGINE COOLING FAN
When service is required on the spindle-type shaft, it should be rebuilt with the new components.
Fan hubs equipped with roller bearings (except the sealed type in Fig. 2) may be modified by adding a grease
fitting (refer to Cooling System).
Assemble Rub and Adjusting Bracket
(Ball Bearing-Type Hub):
Refer to Fig. 2 and assemble the fan hub and adjusting bracket as follows:
1. Press the shaft and bearing assembly into the adjusting bracket by applying pressure on the outer
race of the bearing, using a suitable sleeve, until the bearing is flush with the pulley end of the bracket.
2. Measure the shaft diameter and the pulley bore. It is important that a 0.001 inch -0.002 inch press fit
be maintained. Then support the bearing end of the shaft and press the fan hub (pulley) on the shaft to the
original dimensions taken during disassembly. This will assure proper alignment and clearance of the parts.
The shaft and bearing assembly are permanently sealed and require no lubrication.
(Roller Bearing-Type Hub):
Assemble the fan hub and spindle shown in Fig. 5 as follows:
1. Apply Texaco Premium RB grease or an equivalent Lithium base multipurpose grease to the rollers of
both bearings before installing them in the fan hub (pulley).
2. Install the inner bearing with the protruding face of the inner race facing outward from the hub.
3. Install a new seal with the felt-side flush with the outer edge of the hub.
4. Place the hub over the spindle and install the bearing spacer.
5. Pack the cavity approximately 1/4 full with grease and install the grease baffle.
6. Place the shims against the bearing spacer. Then install the outer bearing with the protruding face of
the inner race facing outward from the hub.
7. Place the retaining washer with the breakout side toward the bearing. Install and tighten the bolt to
83-93 lb ft (113-126 Nm) torque while rotating the pulley.
8. Check the end play in the assembly with the spindle (shaft) in a horizontal position. The end play
must be within 0.001 inch to 0.006 inch. If necessary, remove the bolt, washer, and outer bearing and adjust
the number and thickness of shims to obtain the required end-play. Shims are available in 0.015, 0.020 and
0.025 inch thickness. Then reassemble the fan hub and check the end play.
9. Fill a new fan hubcap 3/4 full of grease and install it in the end of the fan hub (pulley).
(Front Ball and Rear Roller Bearing):
Assemble the new pulley hub as follows:
1. Apply Texaco Premium RB grease or an equivalent Lithium base multipurpose grease to the front ball
bearings and the rollers of the rear bearing, before installing them in the pulley hub.