AIR SHUTDOWN HOUSING
2. Remove the two pins that secure the air shutoff valve to the shaft.
3. Remove the bolt, lockwasher, and plain washer which attach the latch to the housing. Then remove the
latch, latch spring, and spacer.
4. Note the position of the air shutoff valve spring and the valve (Fig. 2). Then withdraw the shaft from the
housing to release the valve and the spring. Remove the valve and spring and the seal ring from the housing.
5. Remove the cam-pin handle and withdraw the cam from the shaft.
Clean all of the parts thoroughly, including the blower screen, with fuel oil and dry them with compressed air.
Inspect the parts for wear or damage. The face of the air shutoff valve must be perfectly flat to assure a tight
seal when it is in the shutdown position.
Assemble Air Shutdown Assembly
Figure 2. Installing Air Shutoff Valve Spring and Valve
The holes for the cam-pin handle and the retaining pins must be drilled, using a 1/8-inch-diameter drill, at the
time a new service shaft or air shutoff valve(s) is assembled. The valve(s) must be in the same plane within
0.030 inch when in the stop position (flush with the housing face). Refer to Fig. 1 and 2 and proceed as
1. Place the valve(s) and spring in position in the housing (Fig. 2) and slip the shaft in place. The shaft must
extend 0.700 inch from the side of the housing where the shutdown latch is assembled.
2. Install a new seal ring at each end of the shaft. Be sure the seals are seated in the counterbores of the
3. Install the cam and cam-pin handle on the shaft.
4. Install a washer and retaining pin at the other end of the shaft.
5. Assemble the spacer (bushing), spring, and latch to the shutdown housing with the 1/4 inch-20 bolt, lock-
washer, and plain washer.
a. Align the notch on the bushing with the notch on the latch and lock the bushing in this position.
b. Install the pins in the valve(s) to retain it to the shaft with the cam release latch set and the valve(s) in the
c Level the valve(s) in the shutdown position.
d. Adjust the bushing so the
valve(s) contacts the housing when the
cam release latch is set.
Install Air Shutdown Housing (In-Line Engines)
1. Place the blower screen and gasket assembly in position with the screen side of the assembly toward the