Install Camshaft and Balance Shaft Gears
1. Note the letters stamped on the end of the camshaft which signify the engine models in which a
camshaft may be used. The letters on the timing gear end of the camshaft must correspond with the engine
model of--the particular engine being assembled. Refer to the front of this manual for engine rmodel
2. Place the rear camshaft spacer over the timing gear end of the camshaft and install the woodruff key.
3. Lubricate the thrust washer with clean engine oil and place the thrust washer over the gear end of the
camshaft and the spacer.
4. Start the camshaft gear over the end of the camshaft with the key in the shaft registering with the
keyway in the gear.
5. Then, with the camshaft supported in an arbor press, place a sleeve on top of the gear and press the
gear tight against the spacer on the shaft (Fig. 2).
6. Measure the clearance between the camshaft thrust washer and the camshaft. This clearance should
be 0.008 to 0.015 inch when new parts are used. With used parts, a maximum clearance of 0.021 inch is
Figure 2. Installing Camshaft Gear
7. Install the gear retaining nut on the camshaft by hand. Tighten the nut after the shaft is installed in
the cylinder block.
8. Install the gear on the balance shaft in a similar manner. No rear spacer is used with the balance
shaft gear since the gear seats against a shoulder on the shaft.
9. Install the camshaft and balance shaft in the engine as outlined in Camshaft and Bearings.