Install Camshaft (Flywheel Housing and Transmission in Place)
1. Place the rear camshaft spacer over the end of the camshaft and install the woodruff key in the gear end of
the camshaft. Insert this end into position from the front of the engine. Push the shaft in until it slides into the
2. Ali. gn the key in the shaft with the keyway in the camshaft gear and start the shaft into the gear. Tap the
shaft into the gear with a soft (plastic or rawhide) hammer.
3. Remove the camshaft gear puller, spacers, and adaptor plate. Finger tighten the gear retaining nut on the
4. Install the oil slinger on the front end of the camshaft.
5. Install the upper front cover, if used, and slide the spacer over the end of the camshaft and into the oil seal
in the cover.
6. Install the camshaft front balance pulley. Finger tighten the pulley retaining nut.
7. With the clean rag wedged between the gears to prevent their rotation, tighten the nut on each end of the
camshaft to 300-325 lb ft (407-441 Nm) torque.
8. Install the gear nut retainers with bolts and lockwashers. Tighten the bolts to 35-39 lb ft (47-53 Nm) torque.
9. Install the accessories and assemblies that were removed and refill the cooling system.