2. Slide the liner into the block until the flange rests on the bottom of the counterbore in the block.
Do not drop or slam the liner flange against the bottom of the counterbore in the
3. Tap the liner lightly with a soft hammer to make certain the liner flange seats on the bottom of the
4. Install a cylinder liner holddown clamp as illustrated in Fig. 7.
5. Measure the distance from the top of the liner flange to the top of the block with a dial indicator (Fig.
7). The liner flange must be 0.0465 to 0.0500 inch below the top of the block. However, even
though all of the liners are within these specifications, there must not be over 0.002 inch difference
between any two adjacent liners when measured along the cylinder longitudinal center line. If the
above limits are not met, install the liner in another bore and recheck, or use a new liner.
6. Matchmark the liner and the cylinder block with a felt pen so the liner may be reinstalled in the same
position in the same block bore. Place the matchmarks on the engine serial number side of the
block (in-line engine).
7. Remove the holddown clamp and the cylinder liner.
Figure 5. Cylinder Liner Measurement Diagram
Figure 6. Checking Bore of Cylinder
Liner using Tool J 5347-01