clearance. If the clearance exceeds 0.006 inch (two-valve head) or 0.005 inch (four-valve head), replace the
Replace Exhaust Valve Guide
Remove the exhaust valve guide as follows:
1. Remove and discard the coil seal, if used.
2. Support the cylinder head, bottom side up, on 3-inch thick woodblocks.
3. Drive the valve guide out of the cylinder head with valve guide remover J 7775 as shown in Fig. 5.
The current valve guides have a 45 chamfer at the top, replacing the former guides with a 15 chamfer. In
addition, the guide for the four-valve cylinder head is machined for use of an oil seal (Fig. 6).
Install the exhaust valve guide as follows:
1. Place the cylinder head right side up on the bed of the arbor press.
2. Insert the internally threaded end of the valve guide in the proper valve guide installing tool (refer to the
Valve Guide Installing Tools chart (Fig. 7)).
When replacing the exhaust valve guides in a cylinder head, the current guide,
which is machined for use with an oil seal, should be used in place of the 45
chamfered guide (Fig. 6). The current guide will facilitate field installation of valve
guide oil seals.
Figure 6. Former and Current
Figure 5. Removing Valve Guide