VALVE OPERATING MECHANISM
Replace Cam Roller and Pin
To replace a cam roller and pin, proceed as follows:
Do not attempt to bore out the legs of a standard cam follower for an oversized
1. Clamp fixture J 5840-01 securely in a vise as shown in Fig. 7. Then place the cam follower in the groove
in the top of the fixture, with the follower pin resting on top of the corresponding size plunger in the fixture.
2. Drive the pin from the roller with a suitable drift. Exercise caution in removing the cam follower body and
roller from the fixture as the roller pin is seated on a spring-loaded plunger in the fixture.
3. Before installing the new roller and pin, remove the preservative by washing the parts with clean
lubricating oil or Cindol 1705 and wipe dry. DO NOT USE FUEL OIL. After washing the parts, lubricate the
roller and pin with Cindol 1705.
4. Position the cam follower body in the groove of the fixture, with the small plunger extending through the
roller pinhole in the lower leg of the follower body.
5. Position the new cam roller in the cam follower body. When released, the plunger will extend into the
roller bushing and align the roller with the cam follower body.
6. Start the new pin in the cam follower body, then carefully tap it in until it is centered in the cam follower
Figure 7. Removing or Installing Cam Follower Roller and Pin
Using Tool J 5840-01