they draw up evenly without causing the pump shaft to bind. The cover screws must be drawn up snugly but
not too tight.
(12) Install the shaft key (16) and press the pulley on the shaft.
211. Hydraulic Steering Cylinder
(1) Use a cold chisel to scratch or punch marks across the gland seat head (3), cylinder (15), and swivel head
(2) Remove the screws (21) and lockwashers (20) attaching the packing gland (2) to the gland seat head (3).
(3) Unscrew and remove the locknuts (8) and lockwashers (9). Pull out the draw studs (10)
(4) Pull the swivel head (11) away from the cylinder (15) and remove the swivel head and cylinder gasket (4).
(5) If worn, remove the swivel head bearings (14). Discard the cotter pins (12).
(6) Pull out the piston rod (1) from the cylinder (15).
(7) Cut the lock wires (16) and pull them out from the cup retainer bolts (17).
(8) Remove the bolts (17) on both sides of the piston (7).
(9) Remove the packing cup retainer (5) and packing cup (6) from the piston (7).
(10) Use a small drift to drive out the locking pin (18) securing the piston (7) to the piston rod (1).
(11) Turn the piston (7) counterclockwise and unscrew it from the threaded end of the piston rod (1).
(12) Pull the packing cup (6), packing cup retainer (5), and cylinder gasket (4) from the piston rod (1).
(13) Pull the gland seat head (3) from the piston rod (1).
(14) Remove the piston rod packing (19) from the gland seat head (3).
(15) Remove the packing gland (2) and piston rod gasket (22).
(16) If worn, remove the piston rod bearing (24).
c. Cleaning. Wash all metal parts in cleaning solvent and dry them with clean compressed air. Blow off all passages
in the gland seat head and swivel head with compressed air. Remove all sludge, dirt, and foreign matter from the cylinder
and mounting surfaces. Clean all threaded surfaces with a wire brush dipped in cleaning solvent. Soak the mounting pins
in cleaning solvent and blow off the lubrication passages with clean compressed air. Use a stiff brush to clean the piston
rod packing recess in the gland seat head, making