(9) Install the brake spider (34) on the bearing bracket (32) and tighten the bolts (9 and 33), lockwashers (8),
and nuts (10).
(10) Install the adjusting flange bearing (15) on the brake camshaft (13) and press the brake camshaft (13) into
the cam (16). Secure the brake camshaft (13) with the cotter pin (14).
(11) Install the brake arm (17) and tighten the screw (18).
(12) Install the oil seal (5) and bearing rollers (6) on the ring gear (4). Make sure that the open end of the seal
(5) is facing the bearing bracket (32).
(1) Install the assembled bearing bracket (32, fig. 127) on the frame and tighten the 3 long bolts (24), the 7
(2) Install the ring gear (4) on the splined end of the second countershaft (25). Make sure that the oil seal (5) is
started properly into the bearing bracket (32). Tap the oil seal (5) lightly through the holes in the gear until it
is properly seated in the bearing bracket (32).
(3) Install the retainer washer (3) and slotted nut (2). Tighten the nut (2) until there is no play in the
countershaft bearings. Secure the nut (2) with the cotter pin (1).
(4) Lubricate the second countershaft and gears. Install the inner gear guard (14, fig. 126) and tighten the
(6) Close the gear guard (18) and tighten the screws attaching the guard to the compression roll cover. Close
the side door (8).
Section IX. STEERING SYSTEM
The steering roll of the road roller is hydraulically operated. Hydraulic oil is stored in the hydraulic tank attached to the
right side of the roller frame. A hydraulic pump is mounted on the crossmember of the roller frame, on the left side of the
engine. The pump is driven by a V-belt from the crankshaft pulley. The hydraulic pump pressure is regulated by the
regulator valve, which reduces the pressure to zero when the valve is closed. When the operating valve is opened, the
pump immediately pumps the required pressure to the hydraulic cylinder. The hydraulic steering cylinder is connected with
the king pin on the steering roll yoke and operates the movement of the steering roll to the right or left.