d. Inspection and Repair.
(1) Inspect the brake lining for wear, cracks, peeling, and shifting. Replace the brake lining if it is worn,
damaged, or oil soaked. Cut the rivets, drive them out from the brake band, and remove the old lining.
Install the new brake lining on the brake band and secure it with rivets. Make sure that the lining adheres
firmly and evenly to the brake band and that the rivets are properly located in the countersunk holes.
(2) Inspect all gears for wear, damage, corrosion, and broken or chipping teeth. Inspect the keyways for burrs
and cracked or damaged edges. Check all mounting surfaces for scoring and wear. Replace all damaged
(3) Inspect the second countershaft for damaged or stripped threads, broken-off splines, twisting, wear, cracks,
and damage. Replace the countershaft if it is defective.
(4) Inspect all bearings for wear, corrosion, damage, and free rotation. Replace all defective or worn bearings.
(5) Replace all oil seals.
(6) Inspect all mounting and assembly screws and nuts for corroded, damaged, twisted, and stripped threads.
Replace all defective screws, nuts, and lockwashers. Replace all cotter pins.
(7) Inspect all machined surfaces for cracks, chipping edges, and etching. Smooth down all rough surfaces
with a fine-cut file. Replace all parts if their machined surfaces are broken, damaged, or badly etched.
(1) Install the key (26) on the second countershaft (25).
(2) Install the spacer (27) on the second countershaft (25).
(3) Position the spur gear (28) on the second countershaft (25) and make sure that the key (26) and the keyway
in the spur gear are properly alined. Press the spur gear (28) on the second countershaft (25).
(4) Press the bearing cones (7 and 31) into the bearing bracket (32).
(5) Install the oil seal (29) on the second countershaft (25), making sure that the open end of the seal is facing
the spur gear (28).
(6) Install the bearing rollers (30) on the second countershaft (25).
(7) Install the second countershaft (25) in the bearing bracket (32) and make sure that the oil seal (29) is seated
properly in the bracket.
(8) Install the brake band (11) and springs (20) on the brake spider (34).