(3) Inspect the bearing retainer for breaks, cracks, and warpage. Replace the retainer if it is cracked or
(4) Inspect the bearing and bearing cup for wear, cracks, scoring, and damage. Check the bearing for free
rotation. Replace defective bearings and bearing cups.
(5) Inspect all gaskets and shims for wear, corrosion, and cracked or chipping edges. Replace all defective
gaskets and shims.
(6) Replace the oil seal. Check all mounting screws and assembly jam nuts for damaged, corroded, or stripped
threads. Replace all defective screws, jam nuts, and lockwashers.
(1) Press the bearing (7) into the bearing cup (9).
(2) Press the bevel pinion gear (20) into the bearing cup.
(3) Install the lockwashers (6) and locknut (5). Tighten the locknut and bend the ear of the lockwasher into the
slot on the locknut.
(4) Install the key (24) and press the shaft (2) into the bevel pinion gear (20).
(5) Install the jam nut (19) and tighten it securely. Secure the jam nut (19) with a new cotter pin (10).
(6) Install the oil seal (3) in the bearing retainer (4).
(1) Install the bearing cup gaskets (21) and shims (if any) on the bearing cup (9). Use the same number of
shims and gaskets used previously. The shims adjust the meshing between the bevel pinion and bevel
(2) Install the shaft (2) into the transmission case (11) and check from the top of the transmission case for
proper meshing of the bevel pinion and bevel gears. Install or remove gaskets and shims until the gears are
(3) Install the bearing retainer gaskets (8) and shims (if any) and bearing retainer (4). The gaskets and shims
must fill completely the space between the bearing retainer (4) and ing cup (9). Install additional gaskets or
shims if necessary until this space is completely filled.
(4) Install and tighten the mounting screws (23) and lockwashers (22).
(5) Start the rocker shaft (12) into the transmission case (11) and install the yoke keys (18).
(6) Position the shifter yoke (13) on the rocker shaft (12) inside the transmission case (11) and drive the shaft
all the way through the transmission case.
(7) Install the yoke pins (17).