d. Inspection and Repair.
(1) Check the countershaft for breaks, cracks, twisting, and damaged or stripped splines. Replace the
countershaft if it is bent or damaged, or if the splines are broken off or stripped.
(2) Inspect all gears for damaged, worn, and chipping teeth. Replace all damaged or worn gears.
(3) Inspect the bearings for wear, scoring, binding, and corrosion. Replace all defective bearings.
(4) Check all washers for cracks and warpage. Replace the washers if the edges are chipping or cracked.
(5) Check all screws for damaged, corroded, worn, or stripped threads. Replace all defective screws and
(6) Inspect all machined and mounting surfaces for scoring, pitting, and etching. Dress down pitted surfaces
with a fine-cut file.
(7) Replace all used gaskets with new ones. Replace defective shims.
(1) Press the bearing (4) and cone (5) assembly into the slow gear (6) and check the gear for proper fit on the
(2) Press the bearing (4) and cone (5) assembly into the fast gear (8) and check the gear for proper fit on the
(1) Install and block the countershaft sliding gears (2 and 10), gears (6 and 8), and washers (3 and 7) in proper
order in the transmission case. Make sure that all parts are assembled in proper sequence and properly
alined with the countershaft mounting holes.
(2) Install the countershaft (1) and secure it with the retaining ring (9).
(3) Press the outer bearing (12) on the countershaft (1) and the cone (13) assembly into the housing (16).
(4) Replace the same number of gaskets (15) or shims used previously. The shims are used for bearing
adjustment. Reduce the number of shims to tighten the bearing adjustment and increase the number of
shims to loosen the adjustment. The bearings must have no play. The bearing adjustment is correct when
a slight drag is felt when the countershaft is turned by hand.
(5) Install the outer bearing housing (16) and tighten the mounting screws (17) and lockwashers (18).
(6) Install the first countershaft bearing tube (par. 205f).
(7) Install the forward and reverse clutch shaft (par. 204f).