206. First Countershaft
(4) Remove the forward and reverse clutch shaft (par. 204a).
(6) Remove the mounting screws (17) and lockwashers (18) attaching the outer bearing housing (16) to the
transmission case (14).
(7) Remove the outer bearing housing (16) and gasket (15). If there are any shims between the gasket (15)
and the transmission case (14), note the exact number of shims so that the same number can be replaced
during installation. (8) Remove the outer bearing cone (13) and pull the outer bearing roller (12) off the
(9) Spread and remove the retaining ring (9).
(10) Block the countershaft gears to prevent them from falling down into the transmission case when the
countershaft is removed.
(11) Pull out and remove the countershaft (1) from the transmission case (14).
(12) Lift out and remove the countershaft gears (6 and 8), sliding gears (2 and 10), and washers (3 and 7) from
the transmission case (14).
(1) Press out and remove the bearing (4) and cone (5) from the slow gear (6).
(2) Press out and remove the bearing (4) and cone (5) from the fast gear (8).
c. Cleaning. Wash all parts in cleaning solvent and dry them with clean compressed air. Use a stiff brush dipped in
cleaning solvent to remove all dirt, sludge, and caked grease from the countershaft splines and gear teeth recesses. Use
a wire brush to clean the threads on mounting screws. Remove all dirt, sludge, old grease, and rust from all machined and
mounting surfaces on the transmission case and outer bearing lousing. Remove used oil, grease, and sludge front the
countershaft journals and mounting holes in the transmission case.