(8) Check the clearance between the driver and idler gears and the pump body before installing the cover.
Clearance must not exceed 0.003 inch. Replace the pump body if the clearance exceeds 0.003 inch.
(9) Install the cover (14) and tighten the cover mounting screws (16) and lockwashers (15).
(10) Install the frame gasket (17), strainer frame (18), and spacer (19). Tighten the mounting screws (16) and
(11) Install the screen (20) and secure it with the lock wire (21).
(1) Insert the drive shaft (8) into its mounting hole in the cylinder block, making sure that the oil pump mounting
hole is properly alined with the mounting stud (5).
(2) Rotate the oil pump back and forth until the drive gear (2) is properly meshed with the spiral gear on the
(3) Install and tighten the mounting lockwasher (6) and nut (7).
(4) Install the oil pan (par. 126e) and fill it with oil.
(5) Start the engine and let it run until normal operating temperature is reached. Check the oil pressure on the
oil pressure gage. With the engine hot, proper oil pressure is from 10 to 15 lbs at idling speeds and from 30
to 50 lbs at sustained governed speeds.
Oil Pressure Relief Valve
a Description. The oil pressure relief valve is mounted on the right side of the engine, directly below the valve cover.
The opening point of the valve is set at the factory. It is very seldom, if ever, necessary to change the adjustment. The oil
pressure relief valve regulates the oil pressure at higher speeds and is inoperative at idling speeds.
Drive shaft bushing
Pump body bushing
Pump cover and strainer screws
Idler gear stud
Idler gear bushing
Drive gear pin