Pull out the drive shaft (8) and driver gear (22) assembly from the oil pump body (4).
Remove the retaining ring (12) and pull the driver gear (22) off the shaft (8). Remove the key (23).
Remove the idler gear (11) and idler gear stud (9).
Press out the bushing (10) from the idler gear (11).
d Inspection and Repair.
(1) Wash all parts in cleaning solvent and dry them with clean compressed air or a soft absorbent cloth.
(2) Inspect the bushing in the oil pump body for wear, etching, pitting, flaws, and cracks. Replace the bushing if
(3) Replace the oil pump body if it is cracked, broken, or damaged.
(4) Inspect the bushing in the idler gear and replace it if worn, pitted, cracked, or broken.
(5) Use a stiff brush to clean the meshwork of the screen. Blow out the meshwork with clean compressed air.
Replace the screen if the meshwork is torn, corroded, or broken.
(6) Inspect the gears for worn, broken, damaged, or pitted teeth. Check the edges of the teeth for wear, cracks,
and pitting. Replace all defective gears. Always replace gears in sets. Do not replace a new driver gear
with a used idler gear, or a new idler gear with a used driver gear.
(7) Inspect the cover and strainer frame for breaks, cracks, and twisting. Replace if necessary. Replace the
cover and strainer frame gaskets.
(8) Check the cover screws for damaged, corroded, or stripped threads. Replace all defective screws.
(1) Install the key (23) on the drive shaft (8).
(2) Press the driver gear (22) on the shaft (8) and secure it with the retaining ring (12).
(3) If the pump body bushing (3) has been removed, press a new bushing in the pump body (4) and ream it to
(4) Install the drive shaft (8) in the oil pump body (4) and press the drive gear (2) on the shaft. Secure the gear
with the drive gear pin (24). Check the end play of the drive shaft. If the end play exceeds 0.006 inch,
replace the drive shaft (8) and drill a hole in the shaft for the pin to obtain an end play from 0.002 to 0.004
(5) Press a new idler gear bushing (10) into the idler gear (11) and ream it to size.
(6) Install the idler gear (11) and idler gear stud (9).
(7) Position a new cover gasket (13) on the oil pump body (4) and see that the mounting holes are properly