solder the connection between the two windings and test each winding separately.
(d) Check the field windings for open circuits by touching one probe to the field terminal stud and the other
probe to the field winding ground lead. If the lamp does not light, an open circuit is indicated. Check
each winding separately by touching one probe to the connection between the windings and the other
probe to the lead at the end of the winding. Replace the winding if defective.
(e) Check the field winding draw by connecting a battery and ammeter in series with the field winding.
Connect a voltmeter across the field winding terminals. Adjust the voltage to 24 volts. The ammeter
should read from 0.66 to 0.74 ampere. Any other readings indicate defective field windings or
(1) Install the field windings (12 and 27) in the generator frame (38).
(2) Install the pole pieces (13) and pole piece mounting screws (11). Do not tighten the screws.
(3) Tap the generator frame lightly with a soft-faced mallet while tightening the pole piece screws (11). This
light tapping will seat the pole pieces properly as they are drawn tight.
(4) Draw the armature terminal stud through its hole in the generator frame and install the bushing (37), plain
washers (36), lockwashers (35), and nuts (34). Repeat the same procedure with the field terminal stud.
(5) Install the bearing (8) and spacer collar (7) in the drive end frame (6).
(6) Install the spacer (9), retainer plate (10), lockwashers (30), and screws (29).
(7) Use an arbor press to press the drive end frame (6) on the drive end of the armature shaft.
(8) Attach the drive end frame (6) and armature (15) to the generator frame (38).
(9) Install the bearing (33) in the commutator end frame (16).
(10) Install a new gasket (32) on the commutator end frame (16). Install the cover plate (31) and secure it with
lockwashers (30) and screws (29).
(11) Install the tension levers (22) and brush springs (17). See that they are seated securely on their pins.
(12) Position the assembled commutator end frame (16) on the generator frame (38) but do not secure.
(13) Install the brushes (18).