(8) Remove the screws (29) and lockwashers (30) attaching the cover plate (31) to the commutator end frame
(16). Remove the cover plate (31) and gasket (32).
(9) Use an arbor press to remove the bearing (33) from the commutator end frame (16).
(10) Remove the drive end frame (6) and armature (15) from the generator frame (38). The drive end frame and
armature must be removed as an integral unit.
(11) Remove the retainer plate screws (29), lockwashers (30), retainer plate (19), and spacer (9).
(12) Remove the drive end frame (6) and spacer collar (7).
(13) Press the armature shaft from the ball bearing (8). Make sure that the inner race of the bearing seats
squarely and firmly on the arbor press bed blocks, so that strain is removed from the ball bearing during the
(14) Remove the pole piece screws (11) and pole pieces (13) from the generator frame (38).
(15) Remove the armature and field terminal nuts (34), lockwashers (35), plain washers (36), and terminal stud
(16) Remove the field windings (12 and 27) and terminal clip (14) from the generator frame (38).
c. Inspection and Repair.
(1) Drive end frame.
(a) Inspect the drive end frame for breaks, cracks, and warp age. Replace if necessary.
(b) Inspect the ball bearing for wear, scoring, pitting, and damage. Replace the bearing if defective. Check
the new ball bearing in the drive end frame for proper fitting. If the bearing fits loosely or binds in its
seat, replace the drive end frame.
(c) Inspect the retainer plate and spacer for breaks, damage, and warpage. Replace if necessary. Inspect
all screws for corroded, damaged, or stripped threads. Replace all defective screws and lockwashers.
(d) Inspect the spacer collar and replace it if worn, ragged, or gritty.
(2) Commutator end frame.
(a) Inspect the brushes. Replace the brushes if they are oil soaked or worn down to less than half of their
(b) Inspect the brush springs for tension, distortion, metal fatigue, and breaks. Replace if necessary.
(c) Inspect the tension levers and replace if cracked, bent, or distorted.