(28) Unscrew and remove the stop pin (22).
(29) Remove the vent hood screws (13), vent hoods (12), and vent screens (11).
c. Inspection and Repair.
(1) Wash all metal parts in cleaning solvent, except the condenser, coil, bearings, and breaker contacts. Dry all
parts with clean compressed air.
(2) Inspect the vent screens for corrosion, torn or damaged meshwork, and foreign matter. Blow the screens
clean with compressed air.
(3) Inspect the distributor block for breaks, cracks, carbon tracking, burned electrodes, and a worn or damaged
brush. Replace all defective parts.
(4) Replace the distributor rotor if broken, cracked, or oil soaked, or if the contact surface is burned, pitted, or
(5) Place the condenser on a tester and test it for capacity, series resistance, and leakage resistance. The
condenser capacity must be between 0.17 to 0.22 microfarad. The series resistance must not exceed 0.4
ohm. The leakage resistance must be not less than 50,000 ohms.
(6) Replace the breaker arm and stationary contact support. Replace these parts in sets. Do not install a new
breaker arm with a used stationary bracket support, or a new stationary bracket support with a used breaker
(7) Check the tension of the breaker arm spring. The correct tension is from 15 to 30 ounces.
(8) Inspect all bearings for cracks, scoring, damage, flaws, and wear. Replace all defective bearings.
(9) Inspect the rotor shaft journals. Replace the rotor if the journals are worn, etched, or pitted. Check the rotor
for breaks, cracks, and twisting. Replace the rotor if worn or damaged.
(10) Inspect all seals and shims for wear, corrosion, chipped edges, and cracks. Replace all defective seals and
(11) Replace the lockwasher of the impulse coupling nut.
(12) Inspect all drive gears for broken, chipped, worn, or pitted teeth. Replace the gears if worn or damaged.
(13) Check all mounting and assembly screws for damaged, corroded, or stripped threads. Replace all defective
(14) Inspect the drive spring and pawl springs for corrosion, twisting, and metal fatigue. Replace defective or
(1) Install the seal (7, fig. 102) and shims (8) on the rotor (5) and press the bearing (9) on the rotor shaft.