(7) Install the two grooved compression rings (9) and (10) in the third and second grooves of the piston.
(8) Install the plain compression ring (11) in the top groove of the piston (12).
(9) Lubricate the piston rings and grooves with light engine oil or castor oil. Stagger the ring gaps around the
piston to prevent installing the piston with the gaps in line.
(1) Use a piston ring compressing tool to compress the piston rings (8, 9, 10, and 11, fig. 82) on the piston (12).
Water passage hole
Figure 86. Piston installation.
(2) Lower the connecting rod (16) and piston (12) into the cylinder. Be careful not to damage the cylinder walls.
(3) Tap the piston down with a plastic hammer into the cylinder as illustrated in figure 86.
(4) Make sure that the bearing seat surfaces and the back of the bearings are perfectly clean. The slightest
trace of dirt