13) Remove the engine front mounting bolt, lockwasher, flatwasher, and rubber dampener.
(14) Loosen the screws attaching the flywheel housing (1) to the transmission housing (13). Do not remove the
(15) Attach the lifting chains or ropes (3) .to the lifting hook (4) of the crane. Take out the slack slowly.
(16) Check the lifting chains, ropes (3), or cables and see that they are properly attached to the lifting hook (4).
See that the ropes are not touching such engine accessories as the battery generator, starting motor, or
carburetor. See that the engine is properly balanced.
(17) Remove the screws attaching the flywheel housing (1) to the transmission housing (13).
(18) Very slowly and carefully raise the engine about one-half inch.
(19) Push the engine toward the steering roll and at the same time rock it gently to loosen the transmission
housing. Continue this pushing and rocking action until the transmission shaft becomes loose. Do not use
extreme force, as the transmission shaft splines may be damaged.
(20) Lift up the engine and move it to a convenient location. Place the engine on a stand or on solid blocks and
make sure that it is properly balanced before removing the lifting chains or cables.
175. Engine Installation
a. General. Clean the road roller floor and mounting bracket before installing the engine. Check the mounting bolt
and rubber dampener for wear and damage and replace if necessary. Inspect the flywheel housing mounting screws for
corroded, damaged, or stripped threads. Make sure that all electrical leads and linkages will not obstruct the installation
(1) Attach the lifting chains, cables, or ropes (3) to the engine and slightly raise the engine to see that it is
(2) Position the engine and see that the transmission shaft is properly alined with the clutch (12) splines.
(3) Gently lower the engine and push it toward the transmission housing (13) until the transmission shaft
engages the splines in the master clutch (12) hub and back plate.
(4) Check the front mounting holes for proper alinement and install the rubber dampener, flatwasher,
lockwasher, and mounting bolt.
(5) Install the flywheel housing mounting screws and tighten them evenly and securely.