(12) Remove the wrenches (9) and check the valve-tappet clearance again. Readjust if necessary.
(13) Adjust all valves, using 0.014 feeler gage for warm engines and 0.015 feeler gage for cold engines. Make a
final adjustment check.
(14) Coat the new valve cover gasket (3, fig. 50) with a fastdrying gasket sealer and install it on the valve cover
(3) Remove the valve cover (see b above).
(4) Cover the openings around the tappet seats with a clean cloth to prevent dropping retainer pins and keys
into the oil pan.
(5) Use a valve compressing tool (2, fig. 52) to compress the valve spring (4). See that the tool is properly
seated and locked before attempting to remove valve keys or pins.
(6) Remove the locking pin (5) from the intake valve and locking keys from the exhaust valve.
(7) Remove the valve compressing tool (2).
(8) Pull out the valves (1 and 10, fig. 53) from the valve guide.
Manifold mounting stud
Valve compressing tool
Oil pressure relief valve
Figure 52. Valve removal.