(6) Place the first wrench (9, fig. 51) on the valve tappet (11), the second wrench on the tappet locknut (12),
and the third wrench on the adjusting screw (13), as shown in figure 51.
(7) Hold the valve tappet (11) and loosen the locknut (12) by turning it counterclockwise.
(8) Insert the feeler gage (7) between the adjusting screw (13) and valve stem and check the clearance.
Manifold mounting nut
Valve spring retainer
Valve cover stud
Figure 51. Valve-tappet clearance adjustment.
(9) Turn the adjusting screw (13) clockwise to increase the gap and counterclockwise to decrease the gap
between tile valve stem and the adjusting screw (13).
(10) The valve-tappet adjustment is correct when a 0.014 feeler gage passes without excessive binding between
the valve stem and the adjusting screw (13). Use a 0.015 feeler gage if the engine is cold.
(11) When clearance is properly adjusted, hold the adjusting screw (13) and turn the locknut clockwise. This will
lock the adjusting screw (13) in its position.