(1) Place the new cylinder head gasket (16) on the engine block (21). The gasket must be installed with the
bead (the rolled edge around the combustion chambers) down.
(2) Coat the top of the gasket (16) lightly with engine oil.
(3) Install the cylinder head (7) on the engine block (21) and see that the holes in the gasket, cylinder head, and
engine block are properly alined.
(4) Install the flat washers (36) and mounting screws (37). Screw them in until they are finger-tight.
(5) Tighten the mounting screws (37), following the numerical order shown in figure 49. The proper torque
wrench tension is 35 to 40 ft-lb.
Figure 49. Tightening cylinder head screws.
(6) Install the water temperature transmitter and suppression capacitor.
(8) Install the hourmeter.
(9) Install the spark plugs and leads.
(10) Coat a new water outlet elbow gasket (8) with a fast-drying gasket sealer.
(11) Install the gasket (8) and water outlet elbow (9) on the cylinder head (7) and tighten the mounting nuts (10)
(12) Connect the radiator hose with the water outlet elbow (9). Tighten the hose clamp.
(14) Start the engine and inspect the cylinder head for leaks.
(15) After the engine has operated for about 20 hours, check the cylinder head mounting screws (37) for
tightness. Tighten if necessary.