(7) Use a blunt screwdriver to remove the lower filler block seal (5) from the rear filler block (6). Discard the seal
(1) Clean the mounting surface of the cylinder block with cleaning solvent. Use a blunt screwdriver to remove
gasket pieces and gasket sealer from the mounting surface.
(2) Inspect the mounting holes in the cylinder block and clean them with a small brush dipped in cleaning
(3) Wash the oil pan in cleaning solvent and remove all sludge and dirt from the bottom of the oil pan. Wipe the
oil pan dry with a soft absorbent cloth. Clean residue of the old gasket from the mounting edge of the oil
(4) Wash the mounting screws in cleaning solvent and use a wire brush to remove the imbedded gasket sealer
from the threads.
(1) Inspect the oil pan for cracks and dents. Check the oil pan drain hole for damaged or stripped threads.
(2) Inspect the mounting screws for damaged or stripped threads.
(3) Inspect the drain plug and gasket for damage, cracks, wear, and worn out or stripped threads.
d. Repair. Weld small holes in the oil pan. Be careful and do not apply too much heat to the oil pan, as it may warp.
Replace the oil pan, if the cracks or holes are excessively large.
(1) Coat the new gaskets (1 and 2, fig. 40) and the mounting surface on the cylinder block with a fast-drying
(2) Install both gaskets (1 and 2) on the cylinder block and see that the mounting holes in the gasket and the
cylinder block are properly alined. Allow about 5 minutes for the gasket sealer to set.
(3) Install a new oil seal (2, fig. 41) in the rear filler block. Coat the seal lightly with engine oil and see that it is
seated properly in the groove on the filler block body (1). The proper oil seal installation method is shown in
(4) Attach the rear filler block (6, fig. 40) to the cylinder block. Be careful not to bend the oil pan gasket while
attaching the block. Install and tighten the lockwashers (20) and screws (19).
(5) Install and tighten the lockwashers (7) and screws (8) attaching the rear filler block (6) to the flywheel
(6) Attach the front filler block (12) to the cylinder block and tighten the mounting lockwashers (11) and screws
(7) Coat the new cork gaskets (9 and 13) and their mounting surfaces on the filler blocks (6 and 12) with a fast-
drying gasket sealer. Install the cork gaskets (9 and 13) on the filler blocks