the ball joint (4) to shorten the road; unscrew the rod slightly to lengthen it. Tighten the locknut (3) after the proper
adjustment is made.
b. Throttle Cable (fig. 20). The throttle cable is used for the manual operation of the throttle lever (12). The cable
can be removed from its housing by loosening the clamp screw (3) and pulling the cable out of the housing.
c. Choke Cable (fig. 20). The choke cable is used for the manual operation of the carburetor choke lever (14). The
cable can be removed from its housing by loosening the clamp screw (13) and pulling the cable out of the housing.
a. General. The speed of the engine is controlled by the centrifugal flyball type of governor. In this governor, two
forces are used to achieve the regulation desired. The first is the centrifugal force created by the balls located inside the
governor. This centrifugal force tends to close the throttle as the speed of the engine increases. The second force is
exerted by the governor spring. This force remains constant and tends to hold the carburetor throttle in wide-open
position. When these two forces are in proper balance, the engine is operating at the predetermined governor speed.
(1) Remove the nut attaching the ball joint (2) to the governor lever (3) and disconnect the carburetor control
rod (1) from the governor lever (3).
(2) Disconnect the governor spring (17) from the governor lever (3).
(3) Remove the mounting screws (6), lockwashers (5), and mounting washer (4).
(4) Remove the governor (11) and gasket. Discard the gasket.
c. Inspection. Inspect the mounting screws for stripped or damaged threads. Check the governor housing and
mounting surfaces for breaks, corrosion, and pitting. See that the mounting washer is not bent or twisted.
(1) Install a new gasket and position the governor (11) for proper mounting. See that the mounting holes are
alined and that the drive gear of the governor is meshing with the camshaft gear.
(2) Install the flat mounting washer (4), lockwashers (5), and mounting screws (6). Tighten the screws evenly
(3) Connect the governor spring (17) with the governor lever (3).